The house was known to Jane Austen because of the Lefroy connection. The Jane Austen Society wrote in 1958 on the matter:
"Wyards is a house of Hampshire, red brick, of mediaeval foundations with Tudor additions; it received its present appearance in the 1680's except that in the 18th century, sash windows were added though the leaded casements were retained. Wyards has the particular interest that it was a house well known to Jane Austen during the last two years of her life. In 1815, it was a farm-house, and part of it was rented by young Mr. and Mrs. Ben Lefroy. The latter had been Anna Austen, the daughter of Jane's eldest brother James by his first wife. Anna's connection with her aunt was extremely close. When she was left motherless at two years old, she was sent to Steventon Rectory where she was the special care of her aunts Cassandra and Jane, then twenty-one and nineteen."
The current owners are Ann and William Monk. William is a distant relation of the Lefroy family but did not know their connection with Wyards until they had moved in. That's what you call provenance!
Thursday 22 June 2017, from 2.30pm until 4.30pm
Wyards Farm B&B, Basingstoke Road, Beech, Alton, Hampshire, GU34 4AA
£10 - Box Office: Alton Community Centre, Tel: 01420 85057
Further information is available on the website www.janeaustenregencyweek.co.uk
The Jane Austen Regency Week is run on a non-commercial basis by a group of volunteers and participating organisations. It is funded through ticket sales, grants from Alton Town Council and East Hampshire District Council, and by advertisers in our programme.
Details of all Jane Austen Regency Week events are available on the website www.janeaustenregencyweek.co.uk
We are not responsible for the content of external sites.
Event details may be subject to change.